This is my email to our people:
Good Evening, everyone!
I am grateful for our conversation last night and the shared wisdom about ways to help provide relief to the Bahamas. We want to help and be wise stewards, seeking the better paths to bring relief to those in need. Some of us have been a part of disaster relief efforts that were well-meaning but wasteful (and sometimes obstructive) in getting relief to those in need. This is how we have decided to proceed:
If you want to help financially
1) We decided to make a donation as a church to Nazarene Compassionate Ministries. (Click on the link to learn more.) We felt that the active presence of Nazarene churches and missions in the affected areas would be strategic, God glorifying, and consistent with our value of being a blessing to local churches. If you have friends who are wondering about ways to help, that’s a good direction to point them – or you can have them make checks to Love First Coast and get it to me before Wednesday morning (the 11th).
2) We also wanted to make you aware of a cool thing that Royal Caribbean Cruise lines is offering. With its many logistical resources, along with its corporate and personnel connections to the region, it is well positioned to help, AND they are currently matching donations (i.e. your money can go further). You can learn more here.
If you want to drop off supplies (which, by the way, is a great way of getting kids involved and nurturing generosity and compassion in their hearts), we want to point you to two places:
3) Before tomorrow night (Tuesday the 10th), you can take supplies to Baptist Primary Care.
4) Before next Wednesday (the 16th) you can drop supplies off at Faith Community Church (3450 CR210).
Here is a list of items being collected: Those transporting the items request that you don’t deviate from the list:
- Blankets and Sheets
- Insect Repellent
- Non Perishable Food Items (Dried goods, Canned, Manual Can openers)
- Solar Lights and Lamps
- Flashlights and Batteries
- First Aid Kits
- Baby Supplies (Diapers, Bottles, Wipes, Formula)
- Kitchen Items (Pots, Plastic Dishes, Cutlery, Garbage Bags, Bleach)
- Feminine Hygiene Products
- NEW, IN PACKAGE undergarments and socks for all ages
- (Baptist Primary is also accepting toothpaste, toothbrushes, and shampoo).
Jesus said, “You are the light of the world…” I love seeing God’s light shining through each of you!